Prostate enlargement commonly affects men aged above 40. Also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), prostate enlargement should not be confused with prostate cancer or its increased risk of occurrence. Prostate is a small gland located in the male reproductive system, surrounding the urethra through which urine passes. This gland produced a milky white fluid, which forms a part of the semen. This fluid plays a main role in keeping sperms alive by neutralizing the acidic nature of the vaginal tract.
Prostate enlargement treatment cost in India is less than half the cost of what it costs in US. For example, TURP treatment cost in india is between $2500 and $3000 in India. However, the same procedure costs between $5000 and $6000 in US and between $6000 to $6500 in the UK.
The reason behind prostate enlargement is still unclear and once the gland starts to enlarge, it is hard to stop it unless medical treatment is taken. The prostate gland can enlarge in two different ways. First, the prostate cells may divide themselves around the urethra, and end up squeezing it slowly. Second, the prostate cells may grow into the urethra and the bladder outlet. This type of prostate enlargement is typically treated with the help of a surgery since it results in blockage.
What actually causes prostate enlargement?
The exact cause behind prostate enlargement is not clear. However, there are different theories that try to explain what might actually result in prostate enlargement. One theory suggests that prostate enlargement takes place because of higher levels of oestrogen in the blood. The chief reproductive hormone in males is testosterone and there is small amount of oestrogen as well. However, the production of testosterone declines in aging males, paving way for greater levels of oestrogen in the blood, which, in turn, promotes cell growth in prostate.
Another theory suggests that a substance called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) do not decreased with falling levels of testosterone in some males. The accumulating levels of DHT promotes cell growth. It is also believed that prostate enlargement may be linked to aging and testicles. It has been observed that men who have had their testicles removed at young age do not suffer from prostate enlargement at a later age.
Prostate Enlargement: Signs and Symptoms
Some of the men may experience no symptoms at all. However, other can report one or a combination of the following symptoms:
- Presence of blood in the urine
- Sudden urge to urinate
- Urine leakage
- Interrupted urination
- Frequent urination
- Urgent need for urination
- Weak urine stream
- Inability to urinate
- Feeling of bladder not being emptied fully
LOOKING FOR TURP HOSPITALS? TO GET EXPERT SECOND OPINIONS, VISIT OUR WEBSITE: WWW.LYFBOAT.COM
Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
Based on the set of symptoms, a doctor may decide to conduct a series of physical exams to confirm whether the patient is suffering from prostate enlargement or some other condition. The diagnostic tests or physical exam conducted may comprise of either one or a combination of the following tests:
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test: PSA is a substance produced by the prostate gland. While higher levels of PSA is associated with prostate cancer, normal levels may help rule out this possibility and check for prostate enlargement instead.
- Uroflowmetry Test: This test helps determine how slow or quickly the patient is able to empty his bladder. It is done with the help of a device that help determine the rate of urine flow. A slow rate is usually associated with prostate enlargement.
- Digital rectal exam (DRE): A DRE may be conducted the doctor. During this test, the doctor inserts a finger through the rectum of the suspected patient to check for prostate normalcy.
- Post-void residual (PVR): This type of diagnostic test helps determine the amount of urine left in the bladder after emptying it fully. A blockage is indicated if greater amount of urine is left behind.
- AUA Symptom Index: It comprises of a questionnaire that the patient has to answer. It is used to determine the seriousness of the condition or whether it is related to BPH or not.
Prostate Enlargement Treatment in India
Prostate enlargement treatment in India can be availed at affordable costs. Some of the best hospitals for prostate enlargement treatment in India are equipped with modern technology and state-of-the-art facilities to provide world-class treatment to the patients.
Moreover, the top hospitals for prostate enlargement treatment in India house highly-trained doctors, surgeons and other medical and nursing staff. The highly-experienced staff is specially trained to handle every type of emergency and clinical and surgical complications. Popular prostate enlargement treatment procedures in India falls in the two categories:
- Self-care: This involves ways to stop the symptoms from becoming worse such as not stopping the urine for a long time, limiting alcohol and caffeine consumption, exercising, keeping oneself warm, not drinking fluid just before bed time and emptying the bladder fully.
- Drug treatment: This involves the use of prescription medicines, mostly 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors and alpha-blockers. These drugs work by relaxing the tension in the prostate, relieving prostate enlargement symptoms and easing the flow of urine.
- Transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP): In this type of surgery, small cuts are made in the neck of the bladder to improve the flow of urine. It is usually performed in patients with small amount of prostate enlargement.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP): This is the most common form of surgery conducted with the help of a device attached to a camera called resectoscope. This device “chips away” some part of the enlarged prostate, thus easing the flow of urine.
- Open prostectomy: This procedure is conducted in patients with very large prostate. In this type of surgery, a part of the prostate is completely removed. It typically required the patient to stay in the hospital for a minimum of one week.
Prostate Enlargement Treatment Cost in India
The cost of prostate enlargement treatment in India is quite less as compared to other countries around the world, including Singapore, Malaysia, US, UK and the Middle East. For example, TURP may cost anywhere between $2500 and $3000 in India. However, the same procedure costs between $5000 and $6000 in US and between $6000 to $6500 in the UK.
BEST HOSPITALS FOR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT IN INDIA
Some of the top hospitals for prostate enlargement in India include:
- SevenHills Hospital
- Aster Medcity
- BGS Global Hospital, Bangalore
- Global Health City, Chennai
- Global Hospital, Mumbai
- Artemis Hospital
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital
- Global Hospital, Lakdi Ka Pul
- Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital
- Medanta The Medicity